Details of our forthcoming concerts and performances may be found in the Events section.
St Mary’s has a strong choral tradition. We currently have approximately 15 full-time members in our four-part choir, who sing services every Sunday, except in the school holidays.
Terms are as follows (approximately):
- September to Christmas Day
- Mid-January to Easter Day
- Mid-April to St Mary Magdalene’s Day (July 22nd)
Weekly practice nights are held in church on Fridays (7–8pm), with breaks during the state school holidays.
The Music List for December can be downloaded here:
The pattern for a Sunday is:
- Practice from 10.15am, with a brief break before robing
- Service at 11am (finishing a little after 12noon)
- Evening (usually second and fourth Sunday):
- Practice from 5.15pm, with a brief break before robing
- Service at 6pm (finishing at approximately 7pm)
New members are always welcome, and if you are interested in joining the choir, do come along on a Sunday or to choir practice (Fridays at 7pm in church). We look most of all for keenness, commitment and enthusiasm.
Taizé Service: There is an evening service on the first Sunday in the style of Taizé, and orchestral instrumentalists are encouraged to contribute to this, as and how they are able. Rehearsal for this takes place in church immediately prior to the service.
The Organist and Master of the Choir is Christopher Brook, who has served at St Mary’s since 1992.